The FINANCIAL -- Earlier this month, residents of Commerce City in Colorado woke up
to discover raw sewage in about 40 homes.
According to WebWire, the mess occurred after a water main broke which flooded the local sewage system.
According to a local news report, the insurance adjuster has stated that the water main break was an act of Mother Nature so the County Water District is not responsible for the damaged homes.
Because raw sewage was involved there are a wide range of potential environmental hazards in these properties that may include viruses, mold and bacteria. One particular concern is endotoxins. Endotoxins are a type of bacterial toxin that is located in the cell wall component of the outer membrane of Gram-negative bacteria.
Exposure to endotoxins can be a real concern following a flood or sewage contamination event. Bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Helicobacter, which are often associated with these events, are all Gram-negative types of bacteria.
“Building inhabitants may be exposed to these harmful microbial toxins,” reported Brian Mcfarland, Vice President of Legends Environmental Insurance Services, a leading provider of insurance coverage to indoor air quality (IAQ) and remediation companies. “Not only can people be directly exposed to endotoxins by touching contaminated materials, but they can also breathe these toxins if they have become airborne during the drying or removal process. Hopefully the situation in Colorado is resolved so that these homeowners are not left to fend for themselves by the water district. Fortunately, Legends Environmental Insurance Services are experts at insuring a number of experienced professionals who can clean and rebuild these properties as well as test the air and surfaces to ensure they are brought back to a healthy condition for the families,” he continued.