The FINANCIAL -- Last week, Tropical Storm Debby left close to 2 feet of rain
in parts of Florida as it slowly made its way across the state.
Neighboring states also received heavy rains and many areas hardest hit also experienced strong winds, flooding and even tornadoes.
As people begin repairing property damage from the storm they need to keep in mind that mold can begin growing in an indoor environment in as little as 24 to 48 hours when building materials and building contents become wet.
According to WebWire, to avoid future indoor air quality (IAQ) problems from microbial growth it is important that people remove any standing water as quickly and as safely as possible. Standing water is a potential breeding ground for microorganisms, which can become airborne and be inhaled by the building’s occupants. Once the standing water is removed it’s critical to have the property thoroughly and safely dried.
If flooding has occurred and the water contains sewage or decaying animal carcasses, infectious disease is also of concern. Even when flooding is due to rainwater, the growth of microorganisms can cause allergic reactions, trigger asthma attacks and even leave people with a weakened immune system susceptible to fungal infections.
“Unfortunately many property owners who suffered water damage from Tropical Storm Debby may face future problems with mold growth in their homes and businesses,” reported Bruce Jacobs, CIH, President of IAQ Index, a leading home mold test kit manufacturer. “Often mold growth occurs in areas out of visible eye sight, such as in wall and ceiling cavities. When this occurs the only way to know for sure if there is a mold problem in a structure is to have it tested. At IAQ Index we have developed an easy to use home test kit for mold and other indoor contaminants. The kit provides a cost effective and quick method to determine if mold is a problem.”