The FINANCIAL — A total of 42 bodies have been recovered a week after a landslide swept through in a southern Chinese village, but 57 people remain unaccounted for, Xinhua said on July 4, according to RIA Novosti.
"Rescuers had been looking for signs of life, but have found no survivors," the agency quoted the search team head Pu Jianjiang as saying.
Over 700 rescuers and 26 excavators are still working in the affected area.
Almost a hundred of people were buried by a landslide which hit Dazhai Village in southwest China's Guizhou Province on June 28. Locals said that at least 30 students were trapped in the building of a local school.
Experts said residents of the ill-fated village had almost no chances to escape – it took the mudslide, triggered by a rainstorm, only two minutes to bury houses.
A total of 952 people were evacuated from the area as the soil is still unstable and more landslides are feared.