The FINANCIAL — Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), one of the leading developers and innovators of advanced wireless technologies, products and services, on February 16 unveiled its newest showcase of mobile devices and services at GSMA Mobile World Congress 2009 (Booth B53, Hall 8), Feb. 16-19 in Barcelona.
The Company's demonstrations feature technologies that go beyond mobile telephony to enable a variety of new markets and business models. Highlights of the exhibit include demonstrations of advanced HSPA+ technology, LTE, devices based on the Snapdragon mobile computing platform, the Plaza mobile Internet solution and Xiam discovery and recommendation technology, devices featuring mirasol displays and the MediaFLO broadcast mobile TV platform.
“The convergence of the wireless world with consumer electronics, the Internet, digital content and services is changing the way people interact with each other and with their environment,” said Andrew Gilbert, executive vice president of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm Internet Services, MediaFLO Technologies and Qualcomm Europe. “Qualcomm's continued focus on innovation is leading this transformation in Europe and around the world. We are excited to once again showcase Qualcomm's latest technology innovations at Mobile World Congress.”
Qualcomm's technology exhibits and live demonstrations during the conference include
· Video streaming on HSPA+ MIMO enabling peak rates of 28 Mbps on the downlink
· Mobile computing devices from leading manufacturers based on Qualcomm's Snapdragon chipset, including Toshiba's TG01 Smartphone and Wistron's PBook and CP610 devices
· A variety of commercial laptops equipped with the embedded 3G Gobi module for Internet connectivity
· A wide range of commercial handsets based on Qualcomm's MSM7xxx-series chipsets supporting major mobile operating systems
· A live demonstration of standards-compliant LTE technology interoperable between third-party infrastructure and Qualcomm device platforms
· HSPA+ R8 multicarrier technology, which enables operators to deliver doubled data rates to all users with a significantly enhanced broadband experience
· A citywide demonstration of the MediaFLO broadcast mobile TV platform, including 30 channels of international content and interactive applications that allow users to chat, vote, rate shows and update their social networking site while watching TV
· Qualcomm's wireless network services for telehealth, asset tracking and other applications, and a display showcasing commercial products using these services, including the Peek mobile email device and CardioNet mobile cardiac monitoring diagnostic device
· Various consumer products based on Qualcomm's mirasol display technology, which extends battery life and enables clear viewing in nearly any light; products featured include the newly revealed Inventec V112 smartphone and the Cal-Comp iT810 handset, as well as the Hisense C108, Skullcandy's MFM Pro Headphones featuring the color mirasol display and a UMTS camera monitoring system
· Demonstrations of Qualcomm's Plaza, which helps users take their online lives mobile via widgets from both the handset and Web, the Plaza Publisher experience including the Mobile Portal and Publisher Web Portal and additional monetization opportunities for operators with Plaza
· Xiam's discovery and recommendations platform, which allows mobile consumers to intuitively discover exciting content that is relevant to their individual interests and tastes; Xiam also will showcase its recently announced algorithms that make location-aware and assisted mobile Internet recommendations
· Qualcomm's Wireless Reach initiative, which creates programs and solutions that demonstrate how wireless technology can improve people's lives, will be featuring the system for “3G for All Generations,” a pilot project in Spain that uses 3G to connect elderly people to their caregivers and families.